Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Thing 6

Wow! I always heard of people using Flickr, but never have. I uploaded a few photos (and a video). I kept all except one private. I made public and tagged a photo of Myrtle Beach last year - just a few short weeks until my Myrtle Beach vacation this year! So far, I have yet to be able to find it by searching Newington23. Have I done something wrong? Or does it take a while to be found? I can definitely see using Flickr in my teaching role. I recently purchased a Flip Video camera to be used both at school and at home. In school, my plan is to use it as part of a professional development workshop that I will be offering. I plan on videotaping some "number talks" that I will do with classes and will be encouraging others to do the same. My hope is that we can use shared videos as an opportunity to learn how students think about numbers. This in turn will create conversations about strategies to use in future instruction. I'm really excited to bring the video component into this workshop. Will Flickr be the best to use? Or will I be learning about better options? I have recently posted video to YouTube, which was fairly easy. Would this be a better route?

2 comments:

  1. I just searched "newington23" in the flickr "search" box and was able to bring it up - I'm not sure why you had a problem. I had no spaces and I did not capitalize "newington" (although I don't think it would be a problem).
    I haven't tried the video component of flickr - but you will definitely see some alternatives within this program including Youtube, slideshare and screencasting. Once you try them all, you can choose the one(s) that work the best for you
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea of using videos when students share their mathematical thinking. So often, when students respond with their ideas and strategies during our math lessons, I wish I had a video of what they said or demonstrated. I am often amazed with the things that a 5/6 year old is able to do mathematically and their ability to articulate their thinking. I think this would be a tool with great benefits and would encourage others to share and try different strategies when solving math problems. You are welcome to work with my students on this project!

    ReplyDelete