Monday, August 23, 2010

Thing 12

Up until now, I have only thought of tagging as in pictures on Facebook or Flickr. The idea of using tagging as a means of keeping track of and finding useful websites is exciting for me. As a computer user, I am less organized than I would like to be. In terms of websites, I have tons of sites bookmarked at home and at school - of course they are not all the same. Sometimes, I'll be looking for a bookmarked site at home only to realize that I have it bookmarked at school. In this sense, I am excited to be able to start using a site such as Delicious to keep track of all my resources. Another useful aspect of this is that I will be able to share many of these sites with others and get ideas for sites from other colleagues. I think that the most important thing to think about before tagging is how to tag appropriately. The thirteen tips for effective tagging was very helpful and very informative. Without reading that, I would have begun tagging inappropriately. Another piece that is important to keep in mind is that everyone may tag differently so one can't assume that because a tag matches one you chose, the site is a good match for you. Finally, it is also important to keep in mind that one must be cautious about websites that others tag. Before suggesting them to parents or students it is important to review them for appropriate content.

1 comment:

  1. You definitely get it! All of these "things" do require some thought - and will require teachers to guide and model for their students the appropriate way to "conduct business" on the web
    Joan

    ReplyDelete