I had a great time exploring You Tube and Teacher Tube for math related videos. I began with Teacher Tube since I knew that we can access it from school. I was a bit overwhelmed by all the math related videos and finally had to narrow down my choices to math computation. Again, it was still quite overwhelming. Most of what interested me were the math "tricks" for computation. As I mentioned in my last reflection, not all are tricks. Sometimes, they are just strategies that someone picked up on and shared. Since I often hear middle school teachers share that students can not divide whole numbers, I zeroed in on some of the division tricks. Below is a trick that can be used to divide any whole number by 9. I think it is a strategy that's easy to use and works with all whole numbers. I found myself trying it with paper and pencil quite a few times to make sure it worked in all situations. Have a look!
The more I find, the more excited I am to use my blog to share ideas with parents. I will definitely be exploring more of these computation tricks and posting them on my blog! It's funny - I always thought of You Tube as a place for fun videos. It's amazing to see how many learning opportunities exist on You Tube!
No comments:
Post a Comment