As I watched the short video about Google Doc, I immediately knew how I could use it in my professional life. A large part of my job is creating assessments as well as assessment type items for teachers to use in their classrooms. Creating math assessments with appropriate graphics, fractions and number lines is quite time consuming. While I create many of the items, many other teachers use my items or some of their own to create additional practice problems. Teachers also ask for items that they can have as starters to create additional items. Many teachers have created items, but never seem to have enough. As our network exists now, it is very difficult for teachers to share items unless they use the email system. Often, teachers don't think to email their work to colleagues in order to share the work. By using something such as Google Docs or Windows Live, teachers can share work and then edit it to meet their needs. By being able to save and see different versions of the document, teachers can have a variety of options for items to use with their students. This would provide valuable sharing and collaborating opportunities for teachers which in turn would benefit students.
In beginning this task, I tried out both Google Doc and Windows Live. Immediately, I preferred Google Doc. Everything seemed easier and more user friendly. I tried out uploading an assessment that I use with Kindergarten and was able to edit it and save as a different version. I even played with the spreadsheet that you created. Everything seemed pretty easy, almost too easy. Of course, it was. As I was about to begin my post, I realized that the document I played with didn't contain any graphics or different fonts (math and science fonts that are not part of typical word). Once I found a document with fractions and graphics, I tried uploading it only to find that it didn't look right - this has always been a difficulty when other teachers haven't had the fonts that I have had. Luckily, all K-8 math teachers have these fonts now, but it still wouldn't make a difference in this instance. I tried a few more times with different options, but still had no luck.
I decided to try with Windows Live and after a couple of options, I was able to find a way to make this work. I couldn't get the document to open correctly. However, by downloading a copy from Windows Live, the document looks true to form. The person downloading can then edit the document as they wish and then upload it again. I know this isn't how it's supposed to work, but it certainly is an option that we have never had before and will benefit teachers and students. Are there any other suggestions on how to do this? Or does this seem to be the best option?
If I didn't have enough issues already, I can definitely see issues with sharing. What I like about Google Doc is that I could create groups to share items. I envisioned creating grade 1, 2, 3, etc groups and then creating folders that each grade would have access to. I have yet to figure out if I can do that in Windows Live. I haven't found how just yet.
While this experience has been a bit frustrating, I am excited about the possibilities that exist. This is obviously a "thing" that requires much more play time as well as some help with finding if I can do what I am planning.
Google Docs has just re-formatted itself and is now much easier to use with more features than before. I am not really familiar with Windows Live so I can't help you there. However, as wonderful as both tools are, they are both in their Internet "infancy" stages and are constantly morphing and changing. If you are part of a Listserve or social network site for math teachers, then I would pose those questions there as this is where you will get your answers. We are all in the same boat as we try to get the technology to work the way we want it to - so we have to network with others for tips and suggestions. And, Google really encourages contact with them - I would pose my question to them and see what they say - if nothing else, you would have made a suggestion for a future upgrade!
ReplyDeleteWe have contacted blogspot and wikispaces and noodletools and easybib with the kinds of questions that you are asking - It's a great way to learn how to best use a tool!
Happy cloud computing
Joan