Thursday, August 26, 2010

Thing 21

After exploring the different wikis that were listed, I can honestly say that the one that gave me an idea for my own was the NHS Project Pathfinders. I began to explore the different teachers names and what was listed as their resources. (It was easy to see what they teach.) Immediately, I had the idea to create a wiki that can be used by teachers at a grade level to share ideas for lessons, assessments, activities, websites and helpful hints by unit. This year, we really tried to focus on sharing of resources. Some teachers were better than others with this. I believe that many didn't share, not because they didn't want to, but more because it wasn't convenient. By setting up a wiki for them, teachers can get into the habit of checking the wiki and adding to it. I believe that if teachers see something useful, they will more likely post something helpful of their own.

In thinking about what hurdles might stand in the way, I struggled to think of many. The only issue that I can see with a wiki is that since multiple people can edit a wiki, one can never be sure if all of the information shared is accurate and/or appropriate. Other than that, I couldn't think of any other hurdles (other than people just not using it). So, I decided to create a wiki to see if any other hurdles presented themselves. They didn't! I set up the wiki very easily, created pages and added both text and links very easily. Based on my ease, I can't imagine anyone else having problems with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment